Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Get ready for the Shirt-dress Sew-along!



Alright-aroonie!  I was going to show you an older project tonight, but my laptop monitor died over the weekend, and I had to buy a new computer.  Unfortunately, I haven't worked out yet how I'm going to retrieve all of my pictures and files from my old one, so everything I show for awhile will have to be something new. 

Since I have nothing new to show right now, I thought I'd get to planning the sew-along dates, so you can get ready if you want to sew with me.  I will make a dress for Allie out of the same green gingham that I made Jenna's dress from. 


If you'd rather, you could certainly make a shirt like the pattern. . .the construction will be the same.


Either way, I hope you will join me in my virtual sewing room.  We can sew and chat and talk through problems with our garments, and learn from each other along the way.  I've decided to do start the sew-along on Saturday, March 5th.  March is going to be a busy month for me, so I'll be breaking it down into VERY manageable steps.  Won't you join me?

Here's your supply list (I'm going to assume that you already have a sewing machine, and basic sewing supplies, but if you don't, here's you chance to justify buying one--LOL!):
  • Pattern--We will be using Ottobre Design Magazine 1/2010.  (You can order this straight from Ottobre or from several online retailers.)
  • Fabric--You need a woven fabric that drapes well--no home dec fabric.  If you are making the dress version, you will need roughly 1 1/2 to 2 times what the pattern calls for. 
  • Buttons--I used 11 buttons (I think) on the size 104 dress I made.  (Ottobre patterns use European sizing conventions and are based on height in centimeters.)
  • Tracing paper or pattern ease--you will have to trace your pattern.
I think you probably have everything else you will need, so get your supplies together--this is going to be fun!

11 comments:

  1. I am stopping over via From an Igloo. I have been eyeing this pattern, I just ordered the catalog off e-bay and hope it will arrive in time for your sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a ton of readers on my blog, but I did link to your sew along. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, came over from "from an Igloo" too. I think I'll follow your blog. Full time working mom with limited sew time sounds just like me, only I'm not too good at sitting down to sew as much as I would like to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, coming in from the Iglo too... You almost wish she would recommend your site, don't you?
    Becoming a folower and I'll try to jump in on the sew-a-long. I heart Ottobre!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I've got so much going on this month I don't know if I'll officially sew a long or not but I do plan on following your lengthening instructions at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Imagine my surprise when I logged on tonight and saw that I had 181 hits! Thanks to Christine--isn't her blog great? Thank you all so much for your kind words. This sew-along is going to be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I would like to follow in your sew along but having trouble getting the pattern on Ottobre website. Can you give me some directions?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Wendy. Once you've translated the page into English, you can click on the "Subscribe" link on the right-hand side. On the subscriptions page, there are tabs across the top--choose "Single Issues." You should find it there. I'm not sure where you are, but you might be able to get it quicker from Sewzanne's or the Wooly Thread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I made this shirt for my daughter a while ago. You can have a look at www.sewpony.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute dress...I just found out about your sew-a-long or I may have joined you. Is there a photo gallery somewhere with all the finished shirts and dresses?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Ruth. No, I don't have a gallery set up yet, but I'm hoping to link to everyone's finished projects as they finish them. I guess I could set up a Flickr group--that might be fun. I'll give that some thought. Oh, and you aren't too late to join. Go ahead and sew one up if you want!

    ReplyDelete