The girls and I ate lunch today with my parents and sister and then went shoe shopping since Allie had been eyeing the Payless post card we got in the mail. That was a frustrating experience, but that is a story for another time. When we got home, I decided to make a camera strap loosely following Stacy's tutorial here: http://thelandofka.com/?page_id=4481 .
(Just now, when I went back to grab the link, I realized that my photo here is set up almost identically to hers, which wasn't intentional, but I know I must have remembered it on some level, so my apologies to Stacy. At any rate, she's a much better photographer than I am, so the two don't really compare!)
I used a small scrap of an Alexander Henry woven left over from a peasant blouse I made Allie when she could wear a 4T, and the back is brown velour. I had some of the typical problems you may encounter when sewing together a woven and a knit, particularly in a long, straight line, but I think it turned out okay, and really snazzes up the plain black strap.
My favorite part of the tutorial is the shirred lens cap pocket. Having had my camera all of 2 days, I've been frustrated with finding a place to put my lens cap when going outside to take pictures. . .you know, the two times that I've done it. LOL! I've been leaving it inside, but I'm not sure that's the best option. Plus, that won't work when I take the camera with me away from home.
The lens cap is wider than the strap, so the shirring is necessary to allow it to fit; plus, it adds some security to the pocket to keep the cap from falling out.
So, there you have it. On a weekend when I'm preoccupied with my new camera, I manage to make my sewing about that too!