Sunday, January 30, 2011

Springtime and Ruffles

Our weather seemed to transition overnight this weekend from winter to spring, which is pretty typical for this time of year in south Georgia.  It was so warm that I sent my girls outside to play yesterday in shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops.  I love warm weather, and I got the itch to sew something for spring. 

I went to my fabric closet. . .ummmm china cabinet. . .and shopped for something spring, and this is what I found:


Isn't it pretty?  I got it in a surprise box from a member of http://www.sewingmamas.com/ a long time ago, and it has been aging in my stash for awhile waiting for the perfect project.  As I typically do, I pulled it out and some coordinating dots and left them sititng on my sewing table while I tried to decide what to make.  And Christine came through again.  (I promise I do have some original ideas of my own from time to time!)  She made this fabulous Hanna Andersson knock-off  and she promises her readers a tutorial for how to make one of their own.   http://www.fromanigloo.blogspot.com/ 

I couldn't wait for the tutorial, so I pulled out a raglan pattern and went to work.  I also decided to forgo the puffed sleeves in favor of a longer straight sleeve, which will work well for cool mornings and hot afternoons.   I also ended up with 2 ruffles instead of 3. 



I tried to use my coverstitch binder to apply the neckline binding, but as it turns out, the ruffles ended up being too thick to go through the binder slot.  I ended up having to apply the binding by stitching one side on with my serger, folding over and coverstitching, which worked fine, but definitely isn't my preferred method.  One side of the neckline is wonky because it got stretched out when I removed the first binding attempt.  Hopefully, it will work itself out a little bit when it is washed. 



I will try to get a modelling picture later.  Allie is tired and not in the mood to get dressed and smile for the camera. 

Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment