I've been seeing slipcovers made out of painter's canvas drop cloths all over the internet, and I was intrigued by the idea. Our couch and one of the chairs in our living room was handed down to us by one of Bubba's aunts before we got married. That was almost 10 years ago, and she had had them for awhile before then, so they have seen better days! Structurally, they are actually in very good shape (no sagging or anything), but their upholstery has taken a beating over the years.
So, I decided to go for it. I bought 2 9'X15' drop cloths and ran them through the washer and dryer before getting started. I haven't finished yet because I ran out of piping cording, so I will have to do the cushions when I get more. But here are some pictures of the work in progress (without the cushions)!
My sister came over last night to help. We pinned the drop cloth directly to the couch, smoothing it out as we went and adding an approximate (because I didn't measure) 5/8" SA to all edges that would be sewn to another piece.
I took advantage of the existing hems and added piping. It isn't perfect, but it is good for our first attempt!
With a pleat in the center front of the skirt. (The looser fitting part that you see here is completely covered by the seat cushions.)
I will post finished pictures once I get the cushions done!