Sunday, July 24, 2011

Miss Mary in Seersucker

I've been trying to decide what to do with this seersucker since I picked it up at Joann's, but I knew I wanted to make a fairly simple dress for Jenna.  (Allie has requested a shirt.)  Someone suggested the Miss Mary by the Handmade Dress, and since I've been eyeing the pattern for awhile now, I bought the e-pattern and went to work.  I bought the larger size range (sizes 5-12) and made view A for Jenna in a size 5.


The pattern information says that it can easily be dressed up with piping or bias trim, but be aware that the instructions don't contain information for doing either.  The pattern finishes the neckline and armholes by lining the bodice, but I decided that I did want the look of bias tape, so I skipped the lining completely and made some bias tape out of the same brown broadcloth that I used for the sash.



Even though the wrap and cut-on sleeves are trendy and reminiscent of a kimono, the silhouette is classic little girl.

Every little girl in the south needs a dress made out of seersucker.  It is the perfect fabric for playing in the heat and humidity.


I think I will use View B of the same pattern to make Allie's shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment